Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy-Ween

Jeremy and I have told each other (and pretty much anyone else that will listen) that the gospel and our kids are the best medicine for a broken heart. These precious little spirits that Heavenly Father has entrusted us with force us to get out of bed each morning but they also fill our days with giggles and hugs. They help us see the magic and wonder that the world still holds, like only a toddler can. I don't know what we'd do without them right now.

Before Halloween, Jacob kept telling me that he wanted to be Ichiro, but since I didn't want to pay $50+ for a Mariner's jersey (not to mention how non-crafty I am!), I used my Mommy coersion skills and "helped" Jacob forgot about Ichiro and start loving the idea of being an Oregon Ducks football player instead (we already had the outfit . . . can you hear my evil laugh as you read this?). What do you think, should I feel guilty about my costume switcheroo?


What do you get when you combine: 2 power rangers, one football player, one cheerleader, and a bride? Pure fun! Fortunately for us the weather cooperated tonight and we were able to have an enjoyable time trick-or-treating with the Rowes.


Julie was so cute at the doors from saying "Happy Ween!" to blowing kisses goodbye.


Putting trick-or-treating on hold to take a family photo doesn't always have the best results. Silly Mommy and Daddy forgot that getting candy is priority #1.


Until Mommy reviewed proper trick-or-treat etiquette (something we will be doing before we leave the house next year), Jacob made sure our neighbors were giving him the candy he wanted. For the first few houses he either said things like "Not that one!" or he simply took matters into his own hands by replacing the un-liked candy and nabbing the more desirable one. He sure knows how to keep Mommy on her toes sometimes!


Handing out candy is almost as fun as getting some yourself. Jake called out "I love you!" to more than one group of girl trick-or-treaters. I think we're going to have a keep an eye on our little ladies man as he gets a little older.


And my personal fave: Julie's sugar induced stupor.

13 comments:

Margaret said...

That last picture is so classic! LOVE IT! It isn't easy to get that kind of sugar coma on film. But good job momma!

One year when Lowden was younger, he would go to people's doors and ask "Is that chocolate?" (He's not a chocolate fan.) We had to have the same etiquette talk with him. He has learned to get the chocolate and give it to mom that way everyone is happy.

Your kids look adorable!

rachel said...

I'm glad you had such a nice evening. The weather couldn't have been better.

Thanks for dropping that stuff off and for the sweet note. You're great and I hope you're doing well.

Hugs!

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

hahahaha that is so funny! They are such characters! love their costumes..and the family picture. we had the same result with heather and amanda's kids..I love the new look of your blog!

Gorge Us Family said...

Looks like fun!

fletch said...

I love the classic picture with you and Jeremy smiling and Jacob and Julie in agony... :) They looked really cute and I don't think your "switcheroo" was mean at all. Jake looked happy and his costume was pretty amazingly cool.

So Jacob really called out " I love you " to the girl groups? Hee....heee...funny stuff. I really enjoyed talking to him yesterday. It's not everyday I get to say my ABCs.

Lots of love~
Mindy

Lefgren Family said...

I see you are back to blogging. Nick likes Julies sugar induced stupor. It looks like you had a great Halloween, the weather was great. Love April Cottle

Familia Forsloff said...

What great costumes!...I love the reverse physcology! that is a trait that only a mother knows. Ill need to get your tips!

jamieschip said...

LOVE that last pic. It made me laugh out loud. Man, my kids were bouncing off the walls Friday night. They had more sugar that day than they probably have the entire year. Also, Jake's make-up is awesome. Love the costumes!

Lynners said...

So cute! The family pic with sad kids is adorable!

By the way, I love your new title. It's perfect.

Jenna said...

We love the pics! Especially the last one of Julie- it had Daniel rolling!

Ali Howell said...

I love how excited kids get about halloween...and thank goodness we can still "nudge" them towards a certain costume!!
About the cleaning...a good friend told me to try a schedule of "A, we wake up happy, B, we make our bed, C, we clean our clothes up, D, we dress our head." and then we have breakfast...So far so good. I even let london and camden help make dinner for the past two days and we gave them each a dish night...and i have to say it has gone really well! Who knew kids would find so much enjoyment in hand washing dishes or cooking food they normally wouldn't eat. But when they are excited to make it, they are excited to eat it! Give it a try...it has definately made me smile more the last two days...and when the day is over...i can spend a few minutes doing something i want and go to bed...so novel!!!
I know this is a long post. But i was so happy to read your post about how your kids are helping you through this trial. Knowing how much you love and appreciate your kids more everyday has made me really want to be a better mom. You are a great mom and a great family and i'm greatful for your example and strength. And please know you are always in our thoughts and prayers. Love to all of you!

LaDawn said...

We had a really great time trick or treating with your family and you helped to satisfy a craving on my behalf. We couldn't ask for better friends. happy-ween will always be my favoirte saying.

Unknown said...

I love the new blog- it looks great. Your kids are so cute, Julie's picture is quite classic. Those quotes are great, they're so touching and I'm glad they've been a comfort.