Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sustaining Quotes

Precious in His Sight by Greg Olsen


Below you will find a few quotes that helped me over the last few weeks. Actually there were a lot of quotes that helped but these ones either were easy to find again or struck me enough to take the time and look up in order to post them. I used to be quite the quote collector so if a relevant quote comes to mind, I'd love it if you shared yours too.


"It is always gratifying to hear of prayers being answered and miracles occurring in the lives of those who need them. But what of those noble and faithful souls who receive no miracles, whose prayers are not answered in the way they wish? What is their solace? From whence will their comfort come? Said the Savior of the world: “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. … But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, … the Father will send in my name” (John 14:18, 26).

In simple terms, the gift of the Holy Ghost is an enhanced spiritual power permitting those entitled thereto to receive it, to receive a greater knowledge and enjoyment of the influence of Deity."

- James E. Faust



If we looked at mortality as the whole of existence, then pain, sorrow, failure, and short life would be calamity. But if we look upon life as an eternal thing stretching far into the premortal past and on into the eternal post-death future, then all happenings may be put in proper perspective.

Is there not wisdom in his giving us trials that we might rise above them, responsibilities that we might achieve, work to harden our muscles, sorrows to try our souls? Are we not exposed to temptations to test our strength, sickness that we might learn patience, death that we might be immortalized and glorified?

If all the sick for whom we pray were healed, if all the righteous were protected and the wicked destroyed, the whole program of the Father would be annulled and the basic principle of the gospel, free agency, would be ended. No man would have to live by faith.

If joy and peace and rewards were instantaneously given the doer of good, there could be no evil—all would do good but not because of the rightness of doing good. There would be no test of strength, no development of character, no growth of powers, no free agency, only satanic controls.

Should all prayers be immediately answered according to our selfish desires and our limited understanding, then there would be little or no suffering, sorrow, disappointment, or even death, and if these were not, there would also be no joy, success, resurrection, nor eternal life and godhood.

“For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things … righteousness … wickedness … holiness … misery … good … bad. …” (2 Nephi 2:11.)

Being human, we would expel from our lives physical pain and mental anguish and assure ourselves of continual ease and comfort, but if we were to close the doors upon sorrow and distress, we might be excluding our greatest friends and benefactors. Suffering can make saints of people as they learn patience, long-suffering, and self-mastery. …

- Spencer W. Kimball (this entire lesson is excellent)



… Our beloved friends who are now deprived of their little one, have great cause for joy and rejoicing, even in the midst of the deep sorrow that they feel at the loss of their little one for a time. They know he is all right; they have the assurance that their little one has passed away without sin. Such children are in the bosom of the Father. They will inherit their glory and their exaltation, and they will not be deprived of the blessings that belong to them; for, in the economy of heaven, and in the wisdom of the Father, who doeth all things well, those who are cut down as little children are without any responsibility for their taking off, they, themselves, not having the intelligence and wisdom to take care of themselves and to understand the laws of life; and, in the wisdom and mercy and economy of God our Heavenly Father, all that could have been obtained and enjoyed by them if they had been permitted to live in the flesh will be provided for them hereafter. They will lose nothing by being taken away from us in this way. …

With these thoughts in my mind, I take consolation in the fact that I shall meet my children who have passed behind the veil; I have lost a number, and I have felt all that a parent can feel, I think, in the loss of my children. I have felt it keenly, for I love children, and I am particularly fond of the little ones, but I feel thankful to God for the knowledge of these principles, because now I have every confidence in his word and in his promise that I will possess in the future all that belongs to me, and my joy will be full. I will not be deprived of any privilege or any blessing that I am worthy of and that may be properly entrusted to me. But every gift, and every blessing that it is possible for me to become worthy of I shall possess, either in time or in eternity, and it will not matter, so that I acknowledge the hand of God in all these things, and say in my heart, “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord” [see Job 1:21]. This is the way we should feel with regard to our children, or our relatives, or friends, or whatever vicissitudes we may be called to pass through.


- Joseph F. Smith




“My only hope and confidence is in that God who gave me being, in whom there is all power, who now is present before me, and my heart is naked before his eyes continually. He is my comforter, and he forsaketh me not.”

- Joseph Smith Jr.

8 comments:

rachel said...

Those are very strong and special quotes. Thank you for sharing them.

Margaret said...

I sure love you! I've missed you since our girl weekend. I had a great time with you. I hope you caught up on your sleep since I talked your ear off that last night.

I was a quote collector too! I sometimes feel like a good quote can sum up what I can't express myself.

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

very inspirational.. It is very uplifting to know that the Lord has been through everything that we have and will go through, and that He is always there for us. Thank you for sharing those quotes that have helped you.

The Wimmer 5 said...

That first quote especially gave me the good chills through my whole body. Thanks so much for posting those and for being such an example. You are so great and you are all continually in our thoughts and prayers. We love you.

Lynners said...

You are such an inspiration. I think it's beautiful that in your time of grief, you look to your Heavenly Father with faith, and patiently wait for him to heal your heart. Thank you for sharing that with us.

emilypr said...

I had never heard that quote by President Kimball. I was struck by this part:

" Should all prayers be immediately answered according to our selfish desires and our limited understanding, then there would be little or no suffering, sorrow, disappointment, or even death, and if these were not, there would also be no joy, success, resurrection, nor eternal life and godhood."

That is so powerful. I have never thought of it in exactly that way. Thank you for sharing that. We hope you are doing well.

Shauna said...

I love these! And I love the picture! Thank you very much for sharing :)

Endless Glow by Jenn said...

You are a wonderful example to me! I have been thinking (and praying) alot about you these last few weeks! I have said to myself and other friends I tell your story to: "How can anyone survive such a thing?". After reading your post, my eyes have been opened. Through the gospel is how we survive such sad things! I want you to know that I think you are so strong. Those quotes (Pres. Kimball's mostly)really put into perspective why bad things happen to good people. It's all part of His plan. Thank you for showing me that life goes on after sadness and that if we reamain faithful we can "endure all things".