Friday, August 7, 2009

Birthday Boy


Happy 1st Birthday, Mr.Caleb. We miss you and love you so very, very much. This time last year, nations from all around the world celebrated together during the opening ceremonies of the 2008 Olympics. I can't think of a better way to start someone's time on earth and a little part of me likes to think they were celebrating for you too. Just a few short weeks later on the day after you left us (Monday September 29th) the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 777.68 points, the largest single-day point loss in its history and our country is still trying to dig itself out of a recession. Just as the country is trying to recover from the events of last fall, I too am still trying to recover from losing you. I do believe the USA will bounce back eventually, but I don't think I'll ever be the same again. I'm working on a new "normal" for me, but I think it's taking longer than expected.

Caleb, you never got to hear the story "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" but there's a part at the end where it talks about the Grinch's heart growing many sizes in a single day. Well, as any and all new mothers can attest, my heart instantly grew with love for you and the problem now is that my heart didn't shrink when you left. There will always be a special, empty place in my heart for you even if it grows bigger to accommodate others that come into my life. My head knows that I will get to see you again but my heart still has that empty space longing for you every single day.

This is the picture I've stared at the most since we lost you. Even though your binky takes up half of your face, this is exactly how I remember you looking up at me, slightly cross-eyed and all. I miss that look so much. Your eyes seemed so knowing. I could just feel so many thoughts going on behind them that I never got to hear. A few years ago I would have thought it was pretty cliche to say this but honestly you felt like an old soul, too incredibly patient for a newborn who went through everything you endured.

Your memory motivates me to stay on the strait and narrow, and your bravery inspires me to push through when I think I've used all my strength. I strive daily to live worthy enough to see you again and my biggest fear is that I will somehow fall short. This is backwards from the way that it should go, but I hope and pray that you stay with me Caleb and help lead and guide your Mom and family along the path back to live with you again someday.


PS - I hope the blogging world will forgive my lack of posts lately and also feel where I'm coming from and allow a grieving mother a few indulgences on this post.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

We love you Caleb!!!! Happy Birthday! You are dearly missed, but we're all trying to watch over your family for you.

Kristine, this was beautiful, thank you for sharing it with us.

love,
Anna

Margaret said...

You are doing Caleb proud!

Love you!

Teresa said...

Kristine you are such a wonderful mother! We love you and God bless Caleb!

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

Happy Birthday Caleb! We love you and miss you so so much!!
Kristine, you're such an amazing mother. Caleb could not have had a better family to come to...I'm hoping we'll all make it to see him again someday.
love you!

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amanda reid said...

Happy birthday Caleb! We love and miss you so so very much. We think about you always but especially on this special day you were born.
Kristine thank you for sharing this blog with us. I wish we could be there for you on this important day. I know with all my heart that we will all be with caleb again someday! We love you so much!!

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Caleb! Kristine, we all love you and your family dearly. You are incredibly strong and such a strong mother. We love you!

Anonymous said...

My heart has been heavy all week...but I know Caleb provoked a change in me as well. His sweet memory is a reminder to keep my priorities in check and not forget what is truly important! How I miss that sweet little boy! And how I love you all!

rachel said...

It's hard to capture our thoughts and put them into words... but you did it perfectly. Absolutely perfect. What a sweet and tender post... a glimpse into your heart and soul.
You are such an example to many, Kristine, whether you realize it or not. And a phenomenal example at that! :)

Bridget said...

Happy birthday to a wonderful boy and his wonderful forever family.

Lynners said...

Thanks for the reminder to cherish every moment I have with my babies. (especially when they are driving me crazy) Thanks for the motivation to keep myself worthy to live with my eternal family.

Caleb is a beautiful and sweet boy. I've learned much from your journey with him.

I can't imagine what this has been like for you, but by sharing your grief, you drive home some important truths for all of us. In that way, something positive has come from your loss.

That's probably of little comfort to you, but thanks all the same. You are a beautiful sole. Love you.

Grandma Terri said...

I loved holding Caleb! Happy Birthday Caleb and I love you so much. Last year at about this time our sweet loving Caleb came from our Heavenly Father's presence and graced our lives with his beautiful calm and loving spirit. I was so excited to hold him for the first time when he was about 9 days old. One of the first things I did this morning was look at all the pictures of Caleb in the beautiful silver album that you gave me Kristine for my birthday. Kristine. I cried tears of joy and sorrow as I read your very loving and sincere thoughts about Caleb. I'm always here for all of you. Love Grandma Terri

The Wimmer 5 said...

Such a beautiful post, Kristine. I was especially touched by your sincerity in acknowledging the things that are most important and knowing that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us.

You have such strength and I miss you for many reasons. I wish I could be there. I can't wait until our next girl's trip to see you. I have always loved your friendship and cherish the example you are to me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you and my prayers are with you as you undoubtedly struggle at this time. You are a rock and never forget that. I love you.

Ashley

Dream Big Designs said...

You are the sweetest, best mother! I got really teary reading that and I can only imagine what you are/were going through. Good thing we have the gospel in our lives to show us how to become better. Thanks for the insight into your heart. I loved it! We are praying for you and know that you are sooo loved!

Carina & Dan said...

Thank you for sharing Kristine. It was so touching. Happy birthday to Caleb!

Familia Forsloff said...

What a beautifully written post Kristine! Sweet Caleb definitely left an unforgettable imprint on the hearts of many. Bless him and the special family he was sent to here on earth!

Endless Glow by Jenn said...

I have thought alot about you guys this month. I know your heart will never feel the same. I think it's more than OK to feel the way you do. I have to diagree with you thogh when you say you are worried that somehow you aren't doing well enough to see see him again. I can understand your concern, but I think you are closer to perfect than most. You have always been GOOD! I know Caleb is so proud of his Momma! What a sweet boy. That was a wonderfdul post. In some way, I needed to hear that. I feel like I take Cade for granted sometimes. Some days are hard and I get discouraged. But, I always have you in the back on my mind and it brings me back to reality- the rality of how fortunate we are to raise these children and that we should never take them for granted. I appreciate you sharing this. It reminds me to enjoy each and every moment. Life is so short and we are meant to enjoy it and to earn from it. I find great strength from you. I really think you're wonderful! Happoy B Day Caleb! :)

Andria Peterson said...

A belated but heart felt Happy Birthday to you sweet Caleb.

It takes courage and strength to be the mother whom you are, Kristine. It's a privilege to rub shoulders with you.

May God continue to bless you and your family.
Andria

JB and Kids said...

This is such a beautiful message. You are truly an inspiration. You and Caleb together.

jamieschip said...

I'm a loser. I read this post the day you wrote it and never left a message (even though for some reason I thought I did.) Anyway, your whole post is truly touching and I'm in awe of your strength. My worst fear is to lose a child and when I think about it, I don't know how I would handle it. Then I see you and how you are coping and living life fully and it makes me understand that strength comes from somewhere and you seem to make it a day at a time. You're always in my thoughts. Landon and Marissa visited two weeks ago and we talked about you guys and how cute your kiddos are.

Pink Posts said...

Kristine, that was a wonderful commemoration to your son. Thank you for sharing it. You are really special!